Friday, October 2, 2009

Handmade Nursery Wall Art Part - I: Giraffe

When you are living in a rented apartment there is not much you can do when it comes to decorating your baby's nursery.

The most common way to decorate a nursery is to paint but that is not allowed in most of the apartments.

This is part one of a series of nursery wall arts for a baby boy nursery with jungle theme (could be for girls too :)). The project does not involve sticking on walls or painting them so is apartment friendly. If your baby is going to have elder siblings you can involve them in the project too.


Supplies needed for the project:
- Foam Sheets( yellow, orange, green, red)
- Wiggle eyes( I did not have one of desired size so used black and white foam)
- Craft knife
- Glue and Scissors
- Scrapbook Sheets or thick paper with printed pattern for background

At first I sketched the Giraffe outline on a paper. You may use ready made pattern if you have one. Then using a craft knife I cut out the Giraffe out of orange foam sheet. You can use scissors but its neater with a craft knife.

Then I cut out hexagons of different sizes using the yellow foam sheet and glued them on the body to get the pattern on Giraffe's body. Added eyes and mouth to the face and paws ( using yellow foam sheets) to the feet to complete the giraffe.

Now that the main piece is ready, I had to decide on a background. I used two sheets of patterned scrapbook stack, cut them in a curve in the center and attached the two to make the following background for my project.
The borders are also cut out from a thick paper sheet with stripes as pattern. I plan to use the same background for all my nursery wall art projects for an integrated look.You can simply glue the Giraffe to the background and stop there but that wouldn't be much fun.

To finish my project I added bushes cut out from green foam sheet and a flower in Giraffe's mouth. Its difficult to cut small shapes in foam. To make the flower I used a single hole paper punch to punch out red foam sheet.That's it! A beautiful and unique nursery decoration piece is ready. You can add ribbons to hang it on the wall or just use thumb tacks. Stay tuned for more!

4 comments:

  1. very nice blog buddy. love collection of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i m amazed by all the creations u guys make... i m out of words every single time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @un songeur -Thanks. Your appreciation means the world to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of glue did you use? I'm having trouble finding someone that works well and is kid friendly

    ReplyDelete

We will love to have your comments/feedback!